Bharat Ratna Dr. B.R.Ambedkar Administrative Building, R.V. Nagar, Kalapet, Puducherry, Puducherry 605014, India
- call (0413) 2655179 (0413) 2655734
About Pondicherry University
Pondicherry University was founded in 1985 by the Government of India. It is an affiliating University with a jurisdiction spread over the Union Territories of Puducherry, Lakshadweep and Andaman and Nicobar Islands. The main campus of the University has an area of 780 acres spread on either side of the East Coast Road with the large chunk on the landward side of the road. The land is an invaluable gift from the people and the Government of Puducherry for the establishment of the University. The land gently rolls down to the beaches and is interspersed with lovely woods. The University is fully supported by the University Grants Commission. The University is a member of the Association of Indian Universities and the Association of Commonwealth Universities. It was the first University in India to provide the students with choice of the elective courses they want to study in addition to the major subject area under the so called Choice Based Credit System (CBCS). The teaching faculty consists of more than 180 active and erudite members in different Schools, Departments and Centres. Currently, there are around 1,600 students pursuing their post-graduate and doctoral programmes on the campus. Affiliated colleges located in Puducherry, Karaikal, Mahe, Yanam and the Union Territory of Andaman & Nicobar Islands. The Union Territory of Lakshadweep is also expected to have a college affiliated to Pondicherry University in the near future.
Schools, Departments & Centres
1. Subramania Bharathi School of Tamil Language and Literature
- Tamil Language & Literature.
2. School of Management
- Management Studies Faculty.
- Commerce Faculty.
- Commerce (Karaikal Centre).
- Tourism Studies.
- Banking Technology.
- International Business.
3. Ramanujan School of Mathematics and Science
4. School of Engineering
- Computer Science.
- Computer Science (Karaikal Centre).
- Electronics Engineering.
- Centre for Pollution Control & Environmental Engineering.
5. School of Physical, Chemical and Applied Sciences
- Earth Sciences.
- Applied Psychology.
6. School of Life Sciences
- Biochemistry & Molecular Biology.
- Ecology & Environmental Sciences.
- Ocean Studies and Marine Biology (Port Blair).
- Food Science & Technology.
- Centre for Bioinformatics.
7. School of Humanities
- Escande Chair in Asian Christian Studies.
- Physical Education & Sports.
8. School of Performing Arts
- Performing Arts.
9. School of Social Sciences and International Studies
- Politics and International Studies.
- Social Work.
- Centre for Women’s Studies.
- Madanjeet Singh Institute of South Asia Regional Cooperation – Centre for South Asian Studies Faculty.
- Centre for Study of Social Exclusion & Inclusive Policy.
10. School of Education
11. School of Media & Communication
- Library & Information Science.
- Mass Communication.
- Centre for Electronic Media.
12. Madanjeet School Of Green Energy Technologies
- Centre for Green Energy Technology.
- Centre for Nano Science & Technology.
Location – The Pondicherry University is located on the Chennai -Puducherry ECR road. The participants coming from Chennai may get down at the Pondicherry University itself without going to Puducherry Bus Stand. The Pondicherry University is located at about 15 Kms from the Puducherry Bus Stand / Railway Station. Puducherry is situated on the Coromandal coast, 160 k.m. south of Chennai. Click here for Google Map Location